Saturday 23 November 2013

Baking:: Petits Pains au Lait

The combination of the recent falling temperatures and my "carb craving" seems to have awaken the baker in me. And so I have generally been browsing through several recipes to find whatever takes my fancy. And find I did! I enjoyed the entire process of making these Petits Pains au Lait, particularly kneading the dough which was a great way to vent my frustration with the Olivia Pope/Fitz tension on Scandal; I tell you Shonda Rhimes has got to stop doing this to me every week.
IMG_00001688
Petits Pains au Lait
They turned out so well that they were just too good not to share. My taste panel was made up of my adorable nieces and nephew who were thoroughly impressed. I have a feeling I will be making these for them again very soon. ☺



Ingredients

Dough:
  • 450g Plain Flour
  • 50g Butter
  • 2 tbsp Caster Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 280ml Warm Milk (whole or semi-skimmed) - 45 degrees C
  • 1 tbsp Dried Yeast
Glaze:
  • 2 tbsp Warm Milk - 45 degrees C
  • 2 tbsp Caster Sugar
IMG_00001676[1]

IMG_00001680[1]

Method
  1. Mix yeast with 3 tbsp of warm milk, and leave to stand for about 15 minutes
  2. Into a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, sugar and butter, and then rub together with fingertips until smooth like breadcrumbs. Alternatively you can mix together in a food processor
  3. Hollow out the center and pour in milk/yeast mixture, the remaining milk and egg. Mix together to form dough. Alternatively, follow step as stated with a food processor
  4. Lightly coat a clean surface with flour and knead dough continuously for about 5 minutes. Until smooth and elastic
  5. Oil mixing bowl lightly and place dough back in and cover with clingfilm or damp clean tea cloth and leave for 1 hour to double in size (Tip: Leave in warm place)
  6. Turn dough back onto floured surface and knead to reduce the size
  7. Divide into 12 equal pieces and mould into rolls, and using a sharp knife, cut a cross on top of each one
  8. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees C
  9. Arrange on a baking sheet covered baking tray and leave to prove for 20 minutes before placing in oven and baking for 15 minutes
  10. Place on a wire rack to cool
  11. To glaze, dissolve 2 tbsp of sugar in 2 tbsp of milk and brush over the hot buns to glaze, then allow to dry out
IMG_00001686[1]
Baked and Unglazed
IMG_00001687[1]
Glazed
IMG_00001696 (1)


Bon Apetit 

No comments:

Post a Comment