Sunday 9 March 2014

Baking:: Oatmeal Coconut Cookies

Cookies have been a while in coming back on this blog. Simple reason being that, everything just seemed "samey samey" to me. I find that now 6 months into blogging, I have somehow evolved into a form of snack snob - so hard to please!
Now oatmeal cookies have never been a favourite of mine; not sure why, but I think it has always seemed just so boring in flavour.

IMG_20140309_095056
Oatmeal Coconut Cookies
Whenever I have come across foods that waver within the precipice of not appealing to me, I always feel left out because I seem to be the only one in the universe who ever owns up to not liking the such foods. I mean there has to be someone else out there who finds oatmeal cookies a tad boring!

Anyway, I thought I would have a go at giving life to my oatmeal cookies by incorporating an ingredient that always never lets me down - Coconut! And the verdict, it worked like a charm.
So in sharing this recipe, I hope everyone who tries it loves it, especially those who just don't feel the standard oatmeal cookies.

IMG_20140308_124510
Toasted Oats
Ingredients
  • 450g Rolled Oats
  • 280g Unsalted Butter
  • 170g Brown Sugar
  • 100g Caster Sugar
  • 2 tsps Vanilla Extract
  • 2 Eggs
  • 25g Plain Flour
  • 1/s tsp Salt
  • 50g Desiccated Coconut
 Method
  1. Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees C
  2. Pour out oats on a baking tray and spread out evenly
  3. Place oats in the oven and toast for 20 minutes
  4. Remove from oven and divide into 2 equal halves
  5. Coarsely grind one half of the oats and then pour back into the other half
  6. Melt butter and allow to cool to room temperature
  7. Pour in brown sugar and caster sugar into mixing bowl and add in melted butter then whisk together
  8. Add in eggs and vanilla extract  and continue whisking until slurry in consistency and light yellow in colour
  9. Line oven trays with baking sheet
  10. Using a tablespoon, scoop cookie dough on the oven trays, ensuring to leave enough space between each scoop
  11. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes
  12. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
IMG_20140309_095204

Makes 36 Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment