Friday 13 September 2013

Speciality & Fine Food Fair 2013 - The Experience

Even though this was my 3rd year of attending the exhibition, I still felt like a kid in a candy store - rearing to explore as soon as I walked through the doors.
However, learning from the experiences of previous years, I carefully planned my routes this year to ensure I touched base with exhibitors of interest.

For the sake of my sanity, I decided to try sticking with a theme this year - TEAS & HERBAL INFUSIONS. Unsurprisingly, I found myself distracted by some other tempting offerings along the way.



Speciality & Fine Food Fair 2013
Flora Tea
In the very competitive Tea market, Flora Tea have really found a creative niche to establish themselves.
As a tea-lover, I did find it quite strange that I had never come across any of their products, until I was made to understand that their products are mainly available in hotels, restaurants and cafes.


Flora Tea Selection


I was particularly dazzled by their handmade tea balls, which are each made up of complementing teas and herbal fusions. This really gives a whole new meaning to "Tea Experience". Taste-wise, I sampled the Lily Fairy (Green Tea, Lily & Jasmine), and my verdict - mildly fragrant, soothing, with an earthy taste. Loved it! Which brings us to the pricing......a bit on the premium end of the pricing scale, but in my opinion, and considering the detailing of craftsmanship, it is worth it.


Jetro - Japan External Trade Organisation

Jetro brought a taste of Japan to London. Even though they weren't on the original exhibitors' list, I was glad to bump into them as they featured as one of my favourite highlights of the day. And the fun part was trying out my very limited range of Japanese.....still working on it.

Japanese Tea Ceremony:
Smack in the middle of the bustle of the day, I received an education of Japanese Tea Ceremony. Strangely, the centuries old ritual did not look out of place, and I didn't hesitate when I was offered a brief demonstration. And for my participation, I was rewarded with a delicious tea bowl of Matcha (powdered green tea). Stronger tasting than the conventional Chinese green tea that I am used to, but it has such an inviting subtle aroma. I gathered that this was due to the fact that Matcha is produced by hand (Temomi manufacturing process) thereby not compromising the quality. Oishi katta desu.

Jetro Exhibition



Japanese Pancakes (Dorayaki) - Wagashi Japanese Bakery:

This is one of those foods that actually leave you with a "taste memory" in a good way. Light, fluffy and with the right balance of sweetness; especially since I am not really a dessert person.
The fillings were a first time indulgence for me - azuki beans, green tea mascarpone and green tea custard.
I was able to have a nice little chat with Harue Wagashi, the company director, who has such a passion for what she does, even after 23 years. She was lovely enough to invite me to the Matsuri (Japanese Festival) taking place next month in London. Looking forward to it!



Choi Time Tea

Choi Time Tea


Another year, and Choi Time Tea were in attendance with their range of tea selections. To be quite candid, I was looking forward to catching up with what they have been up to since last year. I wasn't disappointed.




Some other teas/herbal fusions on offer at the exhibition::

Joe's Tea Company
Brewhaha Teas

Bistro TeaPods


So I eventually succumbed to temptation and veered off course from my original "Tea Mission Statement" to sniff out some of my favourites.

Bread du Jour
Bread du Jour are very new to the scene, but definitely are on to something. I love their concept of bringing freshly baked artisan style bread closer to everyone. No longer the exclusive of the baking enthusiasts! Or if you are like me, really have no time or patience.  I almost walked off with their Sourdough display basket - Delicious.... 
Falksalt 


Falksalt were on display with their gourmet range of salts. Really made me want to cook. #inspired. And in an age of the health conscious, their reduced sodium salt is worth mentioning.
Mushrooms & Umami
Food & Drink Wales showcased an extraordinary variety of products, and 2 out of them all stuck out to me - Oysters & Shiitake Mushrooms and Umami Seasoning - this because of my love for risottos.












Gelato Rialto





There's really no way of speaking about temptations without mentioning some form of frozen dessert. Enter in Gelato Rialto. You have got to try their Hot Pepper + Cherry Chocolate flavour. Unfortunately, their stockists are so far only limited to cafes and restaurants.










Olives et al

At Olives et al where do I begin....? Surprised that I found the will power to eventually leave their stand.













No comments:

Post a Comment