Wednesday 26 February 2014

Predictability of the Food Blogger | Raspberry Rooibos Jam


IMG_20140226_185701
Raspberry Rooibos Jam
It recently occurred to me - as a food blogger - how predictable gifts from loved ones have suddenly become. I mean opening up last Christmas presents almost felt like a walk through John Lewis' kitchen department....all foods, gadgets and utensils. I really appreciated them all and still working my way through them. Don't misunderstand what I am trying to say as some form of ingratitude, but just me wondering if this is how it's going to be henceforth. And my answer to myself was "I don't mind at all!!!".

IMG_20140225_185524
Fresh Raspberries

Which brings me to this post's recipe. I was recently gifted with a tin of authentic rooibos tea, otherwise known as red bush tea, by a friend who just returned from a trip to South Africa. Prior to this, I had found it quite difficult to get my hands on any that hadn't already been mixed with some other type of herbal fusions.
Weirdly enough, the first thought that crossed my mind as soon as I laid my paws on the rooibos tea was what to do with them - and not how to brew myself a cuppa ☺.
So it took me a couple of days to finally settle for this recipe of Raspberry and Rooibos Jam.
This was definitely easier and quicker to make the Strawberry and Roselle Jam I made a few posts back. Cooking time is considerably lesser than you would expect jam making so as to avoid loosing out on the beneficial nutrients that don't hold out too well to heat application. Subsequently, I will be uploading a post focused solely on the benefits within this ingredient.
Anyway, back to the jam at hand, it turned out incredibly well. As I write this, my thoughts are already on how to make another batch to share with family and friends. It'll be practically sinful not to.
IMG_20140225_185914
Simmering away in Caster Sugar


IMG_20140225_190153
Rooibos Tea Bag steeped in Raspberry mixture

Ingredients
  • 225g Fresh or Frozen Raspberries
  • 50g Caster Sugar
  • 3 tbsps Lemon Juice
  • 2 Tea bags Rooibos Tea
  • 10g Butter
Method
  1. Place raspberries in saucepan and cook gently over low heat till they soften and juices begin to run
  2. Add in caster sugar and stir until it is melted and leave to simmer about a minute
  3. Add in tea bags and allow to simmer in the mixture for or about 5 minutes
  4. Remove and strain out tea bags 
  5. Add lemon juice and butter and stir together
  6. Continue simmering, while stirring intermittently, for about 10 - 15 minutes or until it thickens
  7. Remove from heat and pour into jar and leave to cool
Serve as a spread to accompany bread, biscuits........ I had this on a slice of my recently posted Banana & Walnut Chocolate Bread

IMG_20140226_185640
Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment